Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Friday, September 18, 2009

Books and People


We live and work in such a convenient location....I detest the traffic, but the convenience is amazing.

Yesterday I'd promised to pick up a book for Larry at the public library. During my lunch hour I drove the FIVE minutes to our state-of-the-art white elephant of a library (read many tax dollars flushing noisily down the drain!) and was able to get one of his choices. Meantime, discovered another of my "hold" books was in...meaning I still have some heavy reading to do....and then met with a lady at the circulation desk to order from another library the book Larry really wanted.
We had a fairly lengthy discussion on books, during which I told her I had a tough time with the first couple of pages of Pomegranate Soup.
"I just don't bother anymore" she said. "If they don't grab me right away, I let them go. Too many books to read."
I used to do that. I used to do that with people, too. Either they were open and receptive immediately, or I'd back off. Didn't have the confidence to find out what the walls were about, what the cool reception was projecting.
And there certainly are lots of people out there.
But some people I've stuck with, kept at it, chipped away, have become some very dear people to me.
And some books that I've tried even 3 or 4 times, have turned out to be very worthwhile having read.
Who knows, maybe I'll get more possessive of my time and effort again in my older age, but right now, hey I'm not going anywhere....so I'll put some effort in....
I'll meet new people - despite themselves.....
and I might get Pomegranate Soup and other books read.
I think it might be worth it!
oh, and the point of being where it is convenient.....
I bought a lovely sandwich, bottle of water and bag of chips for $4.99 at the library cafe, ate it in the car with all the windows open....(will be in front of the library fireplace in the winter)...talked to Larry on the cell.
Swept up my crumbs.
Drove to the new Race Track shopping center to Barnes and Noble....picked up my new sheet music book, drove back to work....and got to my desk in 55 minutes of my lunch hour!


Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment