Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, November 6, 2010

North by NorthWest Chapter Six

As usual, these last chapters are taking the longest to get done....I apologize for that....but here goes!Saturday Sept 11
We had docked at Seattle at 7 AM and after getting our rental car, we drove directly toward the Columbia River Gorge. Because of the combination of pub hopping, being up quite late and the early departure, Lar was exhausted so I drove the second half of the way. During the drive, we called my sister Carol and spoke with her, with my brothers, Bill and Chick, my Aunt Florrie and my cousins Mary Ann and Harold. There was a family reunion going on that I really missed. But the call helped. No sooner than I had hung up, it dawned on me that it was Bill’s birthday so I called right back and we sang Happy Birthday to him. He reminded me it was also Carol’s anniversary.
Along the way we stopped at a rest stop and they were offering, in addition to clean restrooms, free coffee and crullers. Very welcome, indeed!
The Best Western we were staying in is amazingly nice and has stupendous views. I just couldn’t believe the river view outside our window. There was a small terrace and we both went directly out to sit and soak in the mountains, the river, the air.
Then Lar lay down on the bed and that was that with him – out like a light. I tried a nap but no dice, so I got changed and went down to soak in the hot tub and then have a swim in the pool. After, I sat in the sun on the common deck outside the pool area until I was dry. I had left a text on Lar’s phone to tell him where I was but had heard nothing. Finally I called his cell to discover he was on his way to meet me. He said that he had noticed some quilters gathered in a conference room. So after we had sat together a little while I went down to meet the quilters. It was an annual seminar; I got on their mailing list and relished the beautiful quilts they were making.
Before going to our room, I stopped at the desk and inquired from the young women working there where to go to dinner. They did not recommend the char-grill restaurant attached to the motel but instead recommended the pub about a block down the street. We dressed and set out for the PUB. While it is a little place and nothing in particular to look at, they have good food – fabulous soup – and local beers.
On Sunday we set out to travel the Old Historic Highway - it runs from Corbett to Dodson, paralleling Rt. 84 with 5 falls to be seen from the highway and more to hike to along the way - and to see the various waterfalls along its way. We entered at Dodson, passed through Ainsworth State Park and stopped first at Horsetail Falls.


The falls were really lovely, and the setting so serene, the warm sun filtering through leaves and the shadows welcoming. About 2 miles on was the entrance for the hike to Oneonta Falls - we didn't stop, and then we got to Multnomah Falls - zero mark on the highway, and it is a sight! A double falls, the sound is awsome.

We hiked part the way up, but it was just too steep for me, I wasn't breathing well - I think somewhat to do with altitude and some to do with the fact that I'm out of shape. I did see a good number of younger people who gave up too, so didn't feel too too elderly! They have a really nice restaurant and we were able to enjoy a yummy lunch just to our liking. Soup and appetizers, and hot tea.

There were local artisans there showing their wares and I bought earrings for myself – Oregon polka dot agate – and some other lovely stones made into Christmas Tree ornaments for souvenirs.

Continuing on, we saw Wahkeena Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and Latourell Falls and we had then arrived at the Crown Point Vista House.

After a long day of sight seeing, we walked to the pub once again for dinner.
On Monday we were up and out by the noon check-out time and drove over the Bridge of the Gods to Stevenson, WA in search of a quilt shop I’d heard was there. The GPS found it immediately, but it is closed on Mondays! Instead, we decided to walk through the little town a bit, we found a bookstore and were about to go in when Lar spotted a coffee/tea shop next door. We entered and found it to be charming. I had tea, Lar had coffee and we ordered several of the homemade goodies – muffin, cookies and bars.


We chatted and enjoyed the ambience for a while, I took a few pictures and we bid the owner farewell to go back over the bridge to Oregon. We drove on 97S through absolutely beautiful territory – Mt. Hood kept up its tendency to “pop up” in front of us from time to time. Much of the land through which we drove was Indian owned. At one point we stopped to take a much needed rest from the non-stop driving and stand in awe at a gigantic gorge spanned by an impressive bridge.
Finally we were in Bend Oregon and fairly quickly found our accommodations. Our room, once again, was terrific. The front desk advised Lar that we should consider going to dinner at an Italian restaurant featured on our door key card. It was super advice. The food was really delicious, our server Ian was attentive and at the end of the meal, he sent us back to our room with a large, free serving of tiramisu.
Before leaving that morning, I had “made sure” our bags were organized and we only needed to take one bag in with us this stop.
Got time to take that bag in and I couldn’t remember which I’d designated! Finally we settled on one and took it in.
Not the right bag.
Lar and I went out into the light drizzle and got another bag.
This time, the right bag – but not so organized…still didn’t have everything we needed. This time the rain was coming down hard, but finally, after 3 trips we had ALL the bags in!
On Tuesday we continued the drive on 138W to Crater Lake.


View from our room of the Columbia River Gorge


Drying on the deck - view of the river and the Bridge of the Gods View from outside our hotel.
Yesteryear


Today

View from Point Vista

Wonderful, relaxing grounds of our hotel.

Horsetail Falls



Multnomah Falls



On the trail.





Tasty lunch
Crossing Bridge of the Gods to Washington










Tearoom in WA

No comments:

Post a Comment