Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Any Such Thing?

Edgar Cayce - and others - have been known to say there is no such thing as coincidence.
I am sure, gentle reader, you have had times when you have experienced "coincidence" and wondered, as have I.
Here is one for the books...and I have no idea if it meant something, or truly was, "Coincidence."
Sunday evening I picked up the book "Daughter of the Stars" by Phyllis Whitney.  The book has been hanging around waiting to be read for probably a few years....I've given up reading Whitney so I kept pushing it away.  This time I made the decision to get it read and move it out.
Last evening I took the book to bed to complete.  I didn't like the book any more than I expected...but the history of Harpers Ferry was interesting.  She covered quite a bit of the historic attack by John Brown - his motivations and his failure.  She discusses in some depth the buildings, the bridge, the streets and, since I have been to the area several times, I could see it quite clearly in my mind's eye.
Finally I turned the last page and closed the book. 
Clicked on the tv.
First thing on the screen?
A close up picture of John Brown.
Startled would not come close to describing my reaction.
Next sentence uttered by the commentator included the words "Harpers Ferry."
Now I was feeling uncomfortable.  Closest I can come to describing my sensation was that feeling when you are about to enter a room and suddenly "know" that people are going to yell "surprise!".
My brain wasn't accepting what I was seeing and hearing, and certainly, that was leaving my body with something akin to discomfort.
I guess the documentary lasted around 1/2 hour - and during that time they showed me 90% of what I'd just read.  The fire house....the farm house.....the two sons who died during the attack and subsequent battle.  The Marines.  The bridge.  The armory.
I watched it to the end - my thinking was, "maybe I'll figure out the why of this."
I haven't.

Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment