Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Friday, February 19, 2016

Dealing with UFOs!

To some, UFOs are figments of the imagination.  To others, UFOs are unlikely but possible realities.
To Quilters, UFOs are Un Finished Objects....projects begun, projects on hold.
I have a ton of them!
Some are things I actually began and for one reason or other they never were completed.
Some are things I "inherited" - whether from relatives who passed or from friends, or from "free to a good home" giveaway tables....some I don't even remember.
2016 has become the year to get them done.  For some reason I just know I'll make a huge dent this year and by so doing, relieve myself of the guilt of having them piled up and needing attention.
Some of them include:
Early last year I made arrangements to go up state to meet with the daughters of a old family friend who was going into assisted living.  She had been a quilter, and I was buying her serger and embroidery machine as well as some other items.
During the visit, the daughters discovered this little lap quilt Betty had begun some years before and had misplaced.  I offered to take it home and finish the hand quilting for her so she could enjoy it in her new home.
I had a couple of days to quilt on it before we went away for a few weeks.  During the time we were away, Betty died.  I was so saddened, and it took me almost all year to pick the quilt back up and finish quilting it.  In January 2016 it was completed and sent off to California to her daughters.
 I bought this bird panel a couple of years ago at a quilt show.  It was a double panel and the first one I sewed together to make it all one, rather than the individual bird squares...the tree parts matched up fairly well.  And then....no idea what to do with it.  For Christmas 2015 I decided to make the second part of the panel into Attic Windows for Larry.  Got it completed in January this year.  He loves it!
 Not technically a UFO, a class held by my quilt guild in November 2015 which I didn't get to attend due to the cursed Dry Socket caper.  But I had the fabric all set and knew what I meant to make, so I'm slipping it into the UFO category.  Only got to make 4...2 for our own use and 2 for the children next door, with their names.  
 Again, not entirely UFO except that it was so well formed in my head that I felt it was a given it was getting made for oldest son.  4th and 6th Quilt Designs - two sisters who were in that birth order, 4th and 6th - spoke at our quilt guild, Love Apple Quilters, about an applique technique they'd come up with and I immediately knew I'd like to try it with this design.  Worked pretty well for a first attempt.  I give you, David Bowie.
 I'd made the first square early in 2015.  It was destined to be a quilt for our second Grand daughter, but I feared it would remain one square, on the design wall.  Got it done for Christmas 2015.
 Have had the fabrics and design (Let's Twist) for one mantle cover...but having the fabric and design does not a mantle cover, or anything make without the actual activity of sewing.  Done for Valentines Day 2016.
 Have had the fabric and the design (from Poorhouse Designs) to make a mug rug for best friend.  Actually got it done for Valentines Day 2016.  Yay.
 The second mantle covered for Valentines Day 2016.  Fabrics used and done.

 I believe it was 2014 when I got some fabric and semi done projects from a lady who wasn't going any further with them.  Most of what I got I passed on in fabric or quilt form to one of my quilt guilds.  The one above was the fish panel, bordered with the sea weed fabric and with the yarns and fibers sewn in at the bottom seam.  Knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, and when I explained to oldest son he was so excited about the project and said, "Wow! I'd love that!"  I knew it had to happen.  That summer we spent a week at the beach together and while there I accumulated shells, drift wood, a sinker, etc., which are incorporated into the wall hanging.  Gave it to him when completed, January 2016.
 This little Asian inspired kimono wall hanging is another of the same lady's undone projects.  It is still on my to do list for THIS Year!!
 The label for Betty's little quilt.
The bird panels sewn together.  Still have no idea what to do with it...but whatever it is I decide...gotta happen this year.
 A small quilt that my brother's mother in law had made.  Never got it quilted...I inherited it.  Wasn't sure what to do...but then my brother's boy got engaged over the holidays.  Think I'll get it quilted as a gift for the couple.  Plan a label to tell it's history.
 For a number of years I accumulated homespun fabric....found a pattern, found a shop that had made one exactly as I'd like to make mine.  It's piled...and would like to see it a quilt by end of year.
 Hubby bought me this kit two years ago - Lucille Ball inspired pattern.  Gorgeous fabric.  Want it done!!!
 Gotta be at least 3 years ago, maybe 4 when I made a few of these wall hangings.  It needs to say "Behold a Star" and then quilted.  Let's say for Christmas 2016.
 Lots, not sure just how many squares I've made...some were part of a block of the month from Craftsy....that need to be combined and incorporated into something.  Still a few of the BOMs to be made.  Even if I reduce the pile by end of year, I'll be delighted!!!
 In 1991 I belonged to Online Quilters on Prodigy.  This collection of fabric was from our Ugliest Fabric swap.  I've always known what I want to make with it.  Why haven't I done it?  No idea.  Let's make this the year!


One of my Aunt Martha's stash of items I inherited.  I've completed a number of them, but this one is still a hold - out....stamped white squares that simply need to be assembled and quilted on the stamped lines.  I intend to do free motion quilting on them....maybe this'll be the year.

So there are just a sampling of the goals in sewing/quilting I've set for the year.  Because I've accomplished as much as I have in the last two months, I feel good about my chances of making progress.  And I'll try to keep myself "honest" by blogging.  Thanks for reading....check back from time to time...see if I'm staying busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment