Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is generally a sad day for me. All the advertisements leading up to the day...."just what your mother would love"...."get this (that or the other thing) for Mom on her day".....they are ads that I actually notice. There were many years I couldn't get my own mother much....lean years when a card had to suffice. Earlier there were childhood years when I would take on odd jobs to get up enough money (sometimes Dad had to add 50 cents or so) and I could buy her flowers....a couple of years my brothers and sisters put in some few cents too, and we could get her a potted plant. And now that I might be able to actually buy her something nice, she has gone on and there is nothing this world can give her. I can only offer up prayers that she is in a better place. And that she might know of my continued love.

But my sons and their families honor me, with their visits and their phone calls and their hugs and that helps to offset the sadness. And DH tries, too, to make the day a pleasant one.

I don't know if I am alone in the thought that "Mother's Day" isn't about me....I wasn't all that good a mother anyway....it is about MY Mother.....and she did a heck of a job. She raised five kids in what could pretty much pass for poverty....she hung tough, she passed on values, she was tough but her love was steady and sure. And I am certain my siblings miss her today too.

I love you Mom, thanks for everything, and Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment