Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, October 3, 2009

An Ode to My Crock Pot *

Thou still virtually unused, sitting in quiet
Thou foster-child of silence and slow time,
Keeper of meals, who can express what you are
A bowl of oregano, or perhaps thyme
Leaves of parsley, kale or grape
Did God create you, or men, or both
In Arizona or in California?
Creator of what men do long for, what women need
I in pursuit of time, and struggling to get away from evening cookery
We sing of your wondrous meals, we eat in ecstasy.

After something like 20 years of not getting it right, I think, by George, I've got it!
I've been buying all sorts of delicious sounding veggies, meats, all sorts of things each time we grocery shop, only to discover at week's end that a lot of it never got made into meals.  Lots of waste.  Lots of guilt.
For the last few weeks I've tried something new.  And it is working!  And it is cutting down on grocery purchases, as well as giving me more time after work.
Daughter in law Tina sent me a digital crock pot cook book almost a year ago.  Put that together with the freshly dusted crock pot that was languishing on the shelf.....
and you have chili one night, chicken cordon bleu another, delicious beef tips in a to die for gravy - the list goes on.
I simply shop for only the ingredients in two selections from the cook book.  Yes, maybe the cauliflower does look yummie...but it isn't in either of the recipies....won't buy it!
I put one meal together on Monday morning, (none have taken more than 15 or 20 minutes) which we eat that night.
On Tuesday morning I put together another.  We eat that that night.
Wednesday can be something else, go out, or begin the left overs - which we love.  (I admit, some don't).
That means that on at least Monday, Tuesday, and two other nights of the week, I come home to meals prepared.  I just love it!
click here for a few recipies

*If you didn't get the reference....check out "An Ode to a Grecian Urn"

No comments:

Post a Comment