Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Years' Musings - 2010

     Ask me how to define myself and I will probably respond "wife, mother, grandmother."  Ask me what things I like to do and my reply will no doubt be "read, quilt, scrap, cook and bake."
     The first reply would be quite accurate.
     The second would be just as inaccurate!
     I do, no doubt about it, love to read, and do read.  I don't like to be without a book anywhere, anytime.  In fact, I am usually in the middle of two or three books.
     But the quilting?  The scrapping?  The cooking and baking?
     No, the more accurate description should be "collector."
     Like my mother before me, I accumulate recipies.  Recipies that are healthy, some that are not.  Recipies that sound wonderful.  Recipies that will fulfill me when I make them.
     Recipies that have never been made.  And may never be.
     I am a "quilter" who "collects" fat quarters and yardages of gorgeous fabrics into which I may never cut!
     I am a scrapper and a card maker who "collects" yummy paper and embellishments which I may never use.
     I have ideas in my head for all of those collections.  But I have days full of activities (like work, tv, sleep, piano) that keep me from pulling those ideas out into the light of day.
     So perhaps I should simply reply, "I am a reader with ideas."
     Or, perhaps 2010 will be the year I begin to express myself with needle and thread, with paper and glue - along with reading and learning the piano.  Oh yes, and getting back to the gym, getting back to working out.
     Perhaps 2010 will be a year with longer, fatter hours, longer luxurious days.
     Last night I actually pulled the dusty quilt in a frame over to my chair and quilted for much longer than I have done in a long long time.
     It felt good!
     And yesterday I gave a friend a handmade thank you card that made her smile and say "you made that especially for me, didn't you?" 
     And that felt good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment