Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Friday, April 2, 2010

A Sign of Maturing?

I am going to take this as a sign I may be maturing.
A dear friend asked me to read a book. He actually sent the book in question.
And he asked that after reading it, I tell him frankly, without fear of losing our friendship, what I think.
Doesn't sound so bad, does it?
But the book is about a topic I have feelings about - though they are vague, unformatted feelings, helter-skelter feelings - feelings I have only thought about on a shallow level.
I took the book from its wrapper today, took it outside to sit in the welcome sun and read.
And for the very first time ever, except for when I read the Bible, I couldn't bring myself to open it until I'd said a prayer. I have asked God to be with me as I read this book. I've asked Him/Her to open my eyes fully, to clear my mind, to soften up my heart so that I might see the truth of it - if truth there be.
I think I read somewhere something about the tendency we all have to cling to old beliefs, to hold fast against theories and ideas that conflict with what we have long believed.
So I will take it as a sign of maturity that I am both willing to read a book that might very well challenge what I have long believed, and that I have asked God to enlighten me.
I am rocking my mental boat, as it were.
I'll let you know more as I read.
Maybe.
If nothing else - I'll have ventured and I'll have tried. Not so bad for an old dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment