Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Course in Miracles

"Miracles are a kind of exchange. Like all expressions of love, which
are always miraculous in the true sense, the exchange reverses the physical
laws. They bring more love both to the giver and the receiver."

Much has been written, much has been said about miracles. One of the things I once read, or heard, about miracles has stayed with me - stayed written and clutched in my heart and in my mind went something like this, "miracles surround you. You need only be open to see and recognize them."

About 30 or more years ago, I received word that my dear friend, Maryanne had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It didn't look good. And she had just had a baby, her second child, a little girl. Her first was an active boy of about 10 or so.

On a Sunday morning at Mass, while at prayer, I received the message "Go see Maryanne. Tell her to drink water. A lot of water." I felt chills up my spine! This was not going to be easy! How do you go to a friend and say "God says drink water." But I was full of the knowledge that this was important, so as we left the church, I explained to Larry that he would have the kids for a while that day....I had to go to see my friend.

We sat and felt prayerful together, we talked and opened our hearts to each other. She pleaded with me, "Why would God take me now, and leave these children, this baby I wanted so much, orphans?" I told her that deep within me, I knew He did not intend that. Then I gave her my message.

She looked startled for a moment and then said, "I don't believe it! The Dr. has been telling me that and I haven't been doing it. I don't like our water!" I insisted that she do whatever it took, bottled water, boiled water, flavored water...but that she drink water and lots of it. I didn't know why. But it felt really important.

We haven't seen a lot of each other over the ensuing years, but I will never forget her beautiful smile. On Monday, I read in the paper Maryanne had died. She was 62. She had yet another child. She had Grandchildren. She had lived!

Our dear cousin discovered a few months ago she had esophageal cancer. She has an angel of a significant other for whom she waited a long long time. We see the miracle in her finding him and having him to support and love her through this time. We actually see the miracle in our own lives to have him. Rita didn't tolerate her chemo sessions well, but a couple of days ago when they did the scans before her surgery, they found the tumor had done some significant shrinking.

She went into surgery. Family was told she'd likely be on respirator after the surgery. She had been told there would be chemo after the surgery.

The surgeon came out after the lengthy procedure with what I'm told was a big smile. "We got it all!" What beautiful, miraculous words!

While the family stood at her bedside whispering, Rita, Without Respirator!, opened her eyes, and said softly "Hi." A bit later she said "I love you all."

Miracles happen all around you. Open your eyes. Say Hi to them. Say I love you. And give thanks. Give thanks always.

No comments:

Post a Comment