Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, June 5, 2010

How Was Your Weekend?

“How was your weekend,” they’ll ask.
I will smile, but I won’t be able to really respond.
I’ll simply say “it was terrific!”
And it was.
It was chock full of so many things I love. It was a weekend pretty much custom made for me.
A weekend like that doesn’t come along too often. You gotta appreciate it when it does!

To start it off, my delightful new boss sent me home early on Friday.
I actually had surplus energy left and got some chores done that could have made the weekend much more stressful.

Saturday we got a slow start and at 11:30 we picked up little granddaughter, Julia who is 8. We had made a date with her to take her to a play at the old Walnut Street Theater in Philadelphia. This theatre is the oldest in America, celebrating 200 years in 2009. I’d seen a little ad in the paper that they were running some great children’s plays, and this one was to be Jigsaw Jones and the Case of the Class Clown. We thought it would be right up her alley. We had such fun watching the magic unfold before her eyes….she responded just the way we expected her to. It gave us such pleasure.
After the play, we headed on down the road just a bit for an early dinner at the City Tavern. Another oldie, it was established in the late 1700’s – and although the original building burned to the ground in the 1800’s, it has been restored to as close to the original as is humanly possible. The Chef there is tireless in his research for recipes from the early days. The food was really good. I enjoyed a beef pie, Lar had handmade beef sausages, and our little girl of the newer age had chicken tenders and pomme frites. Lar and I had a couple of Philadelphia’s beers, as this was Philly Beer week. All in all, a most satisfying meal. Our server was an added plus, he was full of information on the Tavern. He is a true asset to the place.

Saturday night we enjoyed a recorded session of Gavin and Stacy – one of our favorites. It was a peaceful, relaxed evening.

Sunday, off to another slow start. Then off to Wegman’s for goodies to make up a festive picnic lunch, picked up our dear friend William and headed out for Sharrott Winery, 370 South Egg Harbor Road Winslow Township, NJ 08037 and their summer blues festival and wine tasting.
The weather was threatening…..pretty intense heat and humidity, sudden bursts of wind, and lots of dark clouds. But we all three had decided, nice day for a ride, if we get to stay, fine, if not – back to the house for a picnic inside.
I was hugely looking forward to the blues…but held no false expectations….I figured, what the heck, it might not be bad…..It wasn’t. It wasn’t at all! It was honest, it was mighty, it really impressed us. It was Love Struck. http://www.lovestruckband.com/Fever.mp3
They are a group to watch and, even better - to listen to.
We bought a souvenir glass with which to enjoy the various wines, and Bill bought us a bottle of Shiraz to bring home.
It turned out to be a very nice day, excellent music, good friends, not a bad picnic, the weather held and we got home before the rains came.
Did I have a good weekend?
Oh my yes.
Family, friends, fresh air, sun (and not really too much of it), nice food and some decent wine, marvelous music – my senses have all been sated. I am content.
What more can you ask for?
Yes, Yes, I had a good weekend.
Thanks for asking!

No comments:

Post a Comment