Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Friday, July 22, 2011

Happy Birthday - Down on the Farm

I believe I have written before about my experience in discovering many McCay relatives through a chance encounter. I had attended a seminar run by the DAR and was struck by the appearance of an older lady – silver grey hair – tall and elegant in stature. After a time, she approached me and struck up a conversation because she’d noticed my last name on the name tag I wore. Her name was Grace McCay. Her first name said it all. She was Grace embodied.

Because of Grace, many McCay relatives were able to come together and knot up the broken ties that had occurred in the family tree over the years.
One of the dearest families we found was the Al and Loretta McCay family. They and their children felt like familiar family members immediately. We have since lost Loretta and her son Albert, too– great losses – such wonderful people -  but we have stayed in touch with Al Sr., his daughter Regina and the others.
Recently we received an invitation to attend Al’s 87th birthday party. We accepted without hesitation. Anything to honor this man who means so much to so many. His is the disposition I fell in love with when I met Lar’s grandfather. A true gentleman and gentle man.
The party was held in Ringoes NJ….an area I knew nothing of. But it amused me to discover that the GPS actually led us down a road I’d so often pondered “wonder what is down that road?” as I am wont to do. I was finding out!
What a beautiful area! An hour away from home and one is suddenly in gorgeous country…farms, lovely homes….it promised to be a most interesting day.
And then we made a right turn at the sign that states “Cross Creek Farm.” A man on a golf cart meets us, signals for us to follow him and we drive past lovely flower gardens, up a long drive, past all sorts of photo ops, around a barn, circumventing a large area of colorful canopies with festive tables, past cows and into a large paddock now used for parking. We were amazed.
And we were warmly received by a gracious host, Jack – directed to beverages and the ladies’ – in a separate party house, complete with bar and every amenity.

 Hot tub - not needed on this day!
 Entry steps to the largest above ground pool I've ever seen!
 Doesn't this area just make you want to sit down and have a "chin wag?"
 Host - Jack.
 Guest of Honor - Al McCay - 87 years young.



 All the McCays in a group...you wouldn't believe the trouble the photographer had getting this done!  Since I don't have McCay blood, I'm not in the picture - tho' Al tried hard to get me to come sit on his knee!
 Al and his sister Vernie who made the trip up from Florida to be with her brother.
 Al and his children.

 Lar with cousins Mary Jane and Janet.


 Tea party, anyone?

Seated outside was another favorite “cousin” Mary Jane. It’s been several years since we’ve been with these relatives – after Loretta’s passing the reunions petered out – so it was marvelous to get back together with them – to try to catch up on all the news. Some folks – especially the younger ones have changed so much it was an effort to attach their faces to the names – but some have not changed a bit.
Cross Creek Farm is an amazing venue for parties! Loretta and Jack have been in the business of partymaking for children, especially for years. Apparently they have specialized in little girls’ tea parties. It is also a working farm, with, as I mentioned, cows, and with horses. I didn’t have a chance to talk to them in depth about how much land they own – what all they do, but I did take the opportunity to walk around quite a bit – take a lot of pictures – and enjoy everything including the food provided by a terrific caterer and getting to know new folks. It was fabulous to have the opportunity to wish, personally, a happy birthday to one of our dearest relatives – and to enjoy the venue so much.
Happy, healthy Birthday, Al. And many, many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment