Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Where Are They When You Need Them?





For the majority of my life, my friends were my elders. Growing up, I talked to my mom. I pretty much told her everything, and in the process, I knew that I would need to live my life in such a manner that I COULD tell her what I'd done. I had my paternal grandmother, Mary and her sisters Anna, Lizzie and Mag right there in my home town. Their love was something I could totally and absolutely take for granted. And, being a kid, I did! A couple of times I moved out of our house and in with one or the other of them. Those were times I cherish. They were the coolest ladies! And they had no men in their lives, so it was just us females and they filled any need I had, really, for other friends.




And then I had my grandma Roushey - Gwennie, and her daughters Martha and Edna and I counted on their love too. And I went to live with them from time to time...spent one incredible summer on Aunt Edna and Uncle Fred's farm....spent most summers with Aunt Martha and one full school year. I had these phenominal women in my life, they filled my life, and I never questioned their love.
And when I met my husband, the package included his grandmom Anna Wallace. Her love was profound, she understood me, and confided in me, and I in her. She was an awsome lady.

But now, with all of them gone, I am often left with an emptiness....they were my friends. They were my foundation. They were my backup....Aunt Mar and I shared such similarities in our health and very being. I could call her about anything and she'd have personal knowledge about it. And she read and traveled, and we could discuss that. And she sewed and quilted. Grandma Davis and her sisters gave me my faith in God. And they knew me to the core.

They've all enriched my life, they all left me with treasures....

But I wish sometimes they were still here, when I need them, when I wish to share something with them.
Which is any given day and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment