Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Days Off

    When you are living with your best friend and love, it is easy to think about retirement at my age. He has pretty much learned to read when I need space, when I need to disappear into a book (he does the same), or when I need to "create" and have to have my hands on something with which to do so (paper, fabric, photos, whatever), and he gets when I need comforting presence. He's even come close to learning when I burst with need to chat. He comes very close to tolerating that.

We took Friday off and had such a good day - in a rhythm that isn't always there, but when it is, it is perfect. We "chilled" with books in the morning. I played the piano a lot. We went to the gym, I think only because if I didn't get back to the gym soon, I was going to - oh I don't know - maybe go insane. We took a leisurely lunch at Subway and then returned home. We each did our various tidbits of things for a while and then we went to the movies.
We thought we might see Alice in Wonderland in Imax 3D. Turned out, the Imax version was gone, and the 3D one wouldn't show for another hour. So we sat in the sun-warmed car and read until time to go in. We loved the movie!
It was such a lovely, relaxed, companionable day.
Would retirement give us more days like that?
The next morning I went to the dentist. We've been going to the same dentist for about 42 or 43 years. He knows us.
He said, "so, how is Lar? Not thinking of retiring is he?"
He continued, "if he retires, it will be very bad for you. Either, you will be a widow very quickly, you will be a nursemaid, or you will be in prison. You will have killed him!"


Ummm, maybe we better cherish days off here and there.


What do you think dear readers?

1 comment: