Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Boasting Rights

How do I not sound like a bragging, boasting Grandmother when I describe the week we recently spent with our oldest Granddaughter as the most amazing house guest?
See the thing is, we do have absolutely lovely grandchildren. I am the proudest mother there ever was when I look at the love and wisdom my children are putting into the rearing of their children. I absolutely adore the job they are doing with these youngsters. I hope they know what it means to us.
But the thing is you see, Jessica is at an age where she really could get away with being obnoxious because we'd say to ourselves, "well, that's 14." And we'd hope for better things in a year or two.
That is just not the case. She was with us for just a hair short of a week. And we never saw any of the things you might expect.
We saw a young lady who is bright, who is loving, who has a delightful sense of humor, and huge compassion. She is a reader. She is family oriented.
Our first full day was spent with family. I wanted her to have some down time to get to know her aunts and uncles and cousins better, and for them to know her. All that happened. It was lovely.
The second day was packed full of activity.

We did Philadelphia and got a lot seen! She saw the Liberty Bell, she saw the Constitution Center and posed with her ancestor there. We went to Congress Hall. We walked a lot and enjoyed a beautiful day.











We then drove up to see her Great-Grandmother. This is one of times her generous heart really showed....she spent an hour being with Great Grandmom as if it were the only place she ever wanted to be. I know Mom felt the love and I know she enjoyed every moment. It was really touching. Mom did some reminiscing about Jessica's dad and we all had tears.



After the visit, we headed on to the Grange Fair where we met Great Uncle Dan and Aunt Leenie. Again, Jessica was unfazed with not having known them...she fit right in, we had a great time, including a ride she challenged me to take with her - it was a bit terrifying, but I did it! Lastly, that evening, we "subjected" her to a jug band who, although they were terrific, I'm sure were not playing her music. Not a peep!











Next day we were up and to the Jersey side ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. It probably could not have been better weather for it. We had such a good time.













Once home, we called little Jules to come stay the night. Julia adores Jessica and their relationship is so sweet, I'm hoping it will last through the years.
The two girls spend their time quietly - girl talk - special interests - we love having them together in the house.

Next day was family pool day. What fun! I nearly drowned myself attempting a "trick" Jessica tried to teach me - but Uncle Larry came through and did it beautifully. I was in awe. Jessica also got me off the high dive. That night she and Pop Pop went to a Phillies game.













The Sunday before she left was down time. She and I went to the book store for the next book in the series she is reading, and she read it all that day. We just spent the day quietly, had dinner at home and I think we were all subdued as it was her last day with us.
I know wondrous things will happen in the world because of this child. And I am proud to be her Grandmother.

But then, I'd say this about all my grandchildren...for after all, if a Grandmother can't brag, who can? Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment