Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, August 28, 2010

B J Roushey and Friend


I composed this a number of years ago for my mother, about her father, my beloved Grandfather - Bradner J Roushey. He never made the trip to visit us very often, back then the hundred miles or so would take a long time to travel. But the scene below repeated itself every time. And after he'd had a chance to call God in on the visit, and to have a cup of tea and a bite to eat, he and I would walk through the nearby fields, hills and woods to have deep secret talks and to laugh and simply enjoy the presence of each other - and of the Special Guest. I could not have loved my Grandfather more - he was everything in the world to me. He was a funny, funny man, with a heart of gold, a child's vision of the world, and a true love of God.

My long armed, long legged, long winded Grampa was hard to keep up with. For long as I could remember, folks said he'd talk your ear off! I thought, as he strode
the fields and woods beside me that he'd walk my legs off. His voice would
carry across the view as he waved his arms and flapped his long animated hands,
and I imagined that my Mom could hear his every word back at the house.
"Look at how the Lord loves you, child! Look what He prepares for your table!"
Grampa was a tall, long man - a man with long floppy ears, a big nose, and a long, loud voice.
But he was more like another child than an adult. His giggly laugh was always lurking, ready to bust out at the most unexpected moment. His twinkling eyes saw a joke coming a mile away. He delighted in every step of our wanderings. He never tired of hearing my thoughts and dreams. He alone knew my secret name I called myself. It was to him I told the deepest secrets of my heart.
And I knew that anything I told him was just between me, him and God.
Couldn't get more safe than that.
Grampa was "bornagain".
Never was sure what that meant, but it had something to do with ending up on
real good terms with God and getting to talk to Him and read His word like no
one else could.
I always liked to be present when Grandpa talked to God.
It was the best day when Grandpa would come to visit 'cause right after he'd arrive, God would get there!
Never knew anybody else that God visited. To my way of thinking, can't get more special than that!
We'd hear the chugging and banging of Grandpa's car and Mother would yank off her apron and dry her hands and we'd all run like chickens to watch his arrival. The noise of the car would grow louder and louder to announce him and suddenly stop dead. There'd be this great quiet and the door would open and Grandpa would begin to unfold.
You'd see one, long, black high top shoe at the end of a very long leg. Then the long, skinny fingers of his long hand would reach out and grasp the top of the door and pull the rest of the seemingly endless length of man from the dark interior.

Sometimes I envisioned that this might be the actual act of getting "bornagain."

I don't think any of us breathed until, at last, with a smile that must have been as big as God's Grandpa showed up out of that car.
Then the spell was broken and we'd rush at him with hugs and kisses held at
bay until he'd kneel way down to receive them.
Once we'd been fondly attended to, he'd stand and look to our waiting mother.
"Daughter" he'd say. And they'd share a little hug.
She'd answer, "Dad" and clench her hands together into a tiny fist and turn to lead us all back into the house.
And then would come the visit from God.
Grandpa would direct us all on the correct way to situate ourselves, all kneeling in a circle, there in the dining room, holding hands and only the youngest ones allowed to fidget. The boys would be wiggling and poking elbows, and even I, the eldest, would take some jiggling to get my boney knees adjusted.
Then Grandpa would speak, "Lord" and just like that, God was there.
No noisy car, no horns or whistles for Him.
Just
"Lord"
and He was there.
"Thank you Lord, for getting me safely here again, to be in the bosom of my
family" and then, knowing as how the Lord had probably forgot us since the last
time they'd visited us, he'd go around and re-introduce us.

No comments:

Post a Comment