Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Monday, May 23, 2011

My Cheatin' Heart!
I quickly discovered that most folks don't realize the work and effort put into a pieced quilt. That was really a good thing, in a way, since baby showers and other special events often come up with little time to prepare. That's when "cheater panel" quilts are just the thing. Below: Sleeping Puppy baby quilt...it is actually a pieced puppy, but the rest is quick and easy. Shirt tale critters were all the rage...probably in the 80's and a quick applique of the little fellow onto a plain fabric background, some light hand quilting and I was set to go. It was a great hit. The Pink Pony had no piecing...again, some light hand quilting and the recipient felt special. Nice gifts for Non-quilters!
How Tall is Baby - I used a cheater's panel of a measuring picture and then inserted it into a pieced background. Got some awsome pictures at the log cabin where we were vacationing in WV.




Cheating Crows - I'm not sure what happened to this one...it was, if I recall correctly a machine quilted panel - but it was intended for someone very fond of gardening and I know they loved it.
I was working with lots of young men and women and that meant tons of baby showers. This cheater's panel along with a string of bears and hearts to match brought a lot of compliments.







Using panels intended for making stuffed animals made a fun coming and going Teddy quilt.







There have been all sorts of purposes for my varied quilt projects...but they have always been intended to bring comfort, to express love. The above quilt was a family project...each of our little family had a hand in creating this quilt - an Irish Chain - for our dearest friend Tony who was in his last days with liver cancer. He is shown here with his walking stick, his Irish cap and his soft cotton quilt...it was hard for him to be so cold and yet tolerate most covers. We wanted him to feel the warmth of our love. I think he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment