Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Runnin' (and Fallin' ) to Catch Up!

 To start off this past busy week, I found a recipe for, and made Immunity Soup.  Go to www.care2.com/greenliving/immune-power-soup.html  for the recipe.  It was perfect timing - because it is quite good, and good for you, I felt it kept us going and I even had it for a couple of meals.  It's only about 90 calories a serving.
 Next up, Mayo Clinic Staff's Turkey Potpie with Baby Veg.  With a homemade corn bread topping - it is delicious!  I'll be repeating this recipe and the soup for a long time to come.  HOWEVER!  I Will never again open the bag of little pearl onions anywhere near the prep area.  Brother in law Elmer found a tiny staple in his serving - obviously from the onions - but I've never figured out how!
 We received a call one day this week to see if we were up for a visit from grandchildren Julia and Larry.  Do I need to say what our answer was?  Julia and I made two loaves of Pumpkin Gingerbread.  We had a blast - and the results were yummy!  We added walnut pieces to one.  Next time, they'll both get walnuts unless Uncle Mike is going to partake.
 Sister Carol and her hubby Elmer visited this week.  We planned on a history trip to Philadelphia, but first...Carol had to check in on facebook and see what she's been missing. 
 Carol, Elmer and Lar (DH) at Independence Hall.  I cannot describe how perfect a day it turned out to be.  A few degrees less would have been cold, a few degrees more - we'd have been hot. 
 Carol's first visit to Philadelphia - to see the birthplace of our nation.  You can see how much she enjoyed it.
 After three times walking by the horse and buggy tours, Carol had to have a picture - one of the guides was more than obliging to take our picture.
 Two Phanatics - one dressed in the Liberty Bell.
 Carol and the Phillie Phanatic.
 Carol was really excited to see the bell.  Says she thought it would be larger.
 Carol's favorite horse.
It is possible that the First Post Office (where Ben was Post Master) may be closing in the near future.  We had a terrific visit with the lady working there this day and we bought envelopes with the famous franking.  Carol had her's sent to her - Lar just brought his home.
After our guests returned home, I decided it was high time I get back on the weight loss program, so next day I had a healthy breakfast and then got geared up for a long walk on a beautiful morning.  Stepped outside and breathed in the fresh, crisp air and after a few steps realized I felt so good I could jog a bit.  A couple of more steps (jogging) and smiling the whole way (about 10 feet) I found myself face down on the concrete!  Guess my knee gave out.  I had landed on my glasses, they were marred and bent at peculiar angles.  I was bleeding and shaken and actually had to call Lar on my cell to help me get up.  (I've fallen and I can't get up!)
Got back into the house, cleaned up, patched with gauzes and tapes and then we took my glasses back to Costco to see what they could do with them.  After being extremely kind and compassionate about my fall, they had the glasses polished and back in shape - in about 10 minutes!  That was my biggest fear that I'd have to order new ones - they ain't cheap!  So while I have a couple of scraped and battered hands and knees, I got away ok.  Is someone trying to keep me from my goal of getting my weight down?  Or is it just a trial to see if I am committed?  Wish they (who ever they are) would turn their attentions elsewhere!

1 comment:

  1. Even all Banged Up those knees are the best I have ever seen. Now you take care of those knees. I love this posting and it sure does reflect the positive fun week we had except for your fall. Love you Lar

    ReplyDelete