Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Don't Catch This Falling Star!

On Saturday of this week, I participated in a workshop with my quilters' guild for "Home of the Brave."  This project, taking place in every state across the nation, is making quilts for the families of those lost in the war.  It's a noble cause and one I enjoyed being part of.
During the workshop I used my 1930's Singer Featherweight machine.  I haven't used it in several years.  Got it out of the case, plugged it in and off we went together, whipping up seams like nobody's business.  Even stitches, just humming along.
Yesterday I sat down to work at home on a project I am making as a surprise for hubby, for Christmas.  My White Quilter's Star - about 4 years old - and used fairly frequently - said "No."
I said, in a fairly loud tone, "GRRRR ARRRRGHHHH!"


One of the pretty habitual quirks this machine has is to absolutely eat, I mean bite big chunks, out of fabric.  And the more expensive the fabric, the bigger the chunks!
Sometimes it wishes simply to have its bobbin taken out and put back in.  Sometimes it doesn't like its needle and wants a new one.  Sometimes it isn't clear at all about what it wants or what it is mad about, it just says "no" and there's no arguing about it.
I went back to my sewing room today, full of resolve and ready to work out our differences.  I replaced the needle, reloaded the bobbin, cleaned out the bobbin area, and made nice.  We sewed about 8 or 10 pieces together and then - no more.  I left the room -  without growling - without any expletives - I simply slumped away.  Beaten.  
On a whim, I typed into my search engine "I hate my sewing machine."
I'm not alone. 
That doesn't help.  But I'm not alone.
Gotta ask yourself tho.  If they could make a fabulous machine about 90 years ago....and they still simply need to have a needle that carries a thread and go up and down - why can't they do it any more?
If you happen to go by my house some day and see a "falling star" flying by - don't be surprised if it's my sewing machine.
I kinda hate it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment