Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Hereby "Un-Friend" You!

Have you ever un-friended someone?
I have. And it wasn't easily done, but having done it, I feel better.
It might be that all the hype about "de-junking" one's life has sunk in, finally. I realize I am parting with more and more superfluous belongings. It really does make you feel lighter.
So now I've gone and parted ways from a distant relative on Facebook.
What happened was, she put it out there for everyone on her list to reach out and grab the nearest book of any kind. She stressed one should not try to make it a special book, an "intellectual" book, but simply the first closest book one could lay a hand on. Then we were to turn to a specific page, and on that specific page, count down 5 sentences and type that sentence.
I thought, well, what the heck....I'm game.
I reached out for the first book at hand - happened to be THE GENEROUS YEARS by Chet Huntley.
I found the page, and the sentence and I was all agog! What mystical message might it hold for me?
"They had gone there a few months earlier to dispose of
a farm which Grandma's father had willed to her."

What?
I read it again. Ummm, nothing.
Yet, in the good spirit of the game, I typed that out on Facebook.
And over the hours that followed I began to see.
That distant relative and some of her friends all had nothing but the "Good Book" on their desks!
Bible verse after Bible verse appeared...tho' I'm wondering how they can all be so different...shouldn't some of the same page, same sentence read the same?
But anyway. I began to see.
I apparently am a heathen. I remember hearing about them. I didn't know they never had their Bible on their desk, right by the computer...but apparently that is the case.
So, I "un-friended" her...lest I offend with my heathenism.
I'm going to go get my Bible from where I actually read it now....and place it very inconveniently, next to the computer.
Someone might ask me to play that game again sometime!
NOTE: should someone soon leave me a farm, and I go there....I'll take this lady back as a distant cousin and a FB friend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment