Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

Had my first fairly decent night's sleep in a while. I don't sleep well...never do. I go to sleep nicely, peacefully, sleep for about 2 - 3 hours and wake up suddenly....fully....wide eyed....usually 2 AM. No matter what I do, I am then awake for 2 - 3 hours again. Alarm (coffee grinder) goes off at 6 and I have usually been asleep about 1 - 2 hours by then. This time my awake period was only about 1/2 hour and I'd slept deeply.
I should have known!
Got to work early! That doesn't happen much.
Got to my desk and was met with the news that my dearest friend had been rushed to hospital. And that she had apparently been diagnosed with lung cancer, tho she hadn't told me.
I took a few minutes to get my thoughts together and called her husband.
He'd just got home from hospital. I got as much as I could from him and offered to go right to hospital but he said no.
It was a long day until it got to be 2 and time for me to leave for the day. Early dismissal from work for holiday.
Went right to the hospital.
Went to front desk. No, she was still in ER.
Walked around to ER. No, not there. But the little surly girl (looked 14) soon gave in to my sense of humor (thanks Lar!) and started making phone calls and discovered Peg had been taken into surgery.
Back to main desk to get pass to waiting room where I found Bill. He is well into his 80's and looked so forlorn as I walked in.
Our eyes locked and his face began to brighten....he began to smile...he stood and hugged me and said "I should have known you'd come." That touched me.
We waited two long hours together until he was finally called to see her briefly in the hall as they took her through to a room.
When he turned away from her gurney and walked back in to the waiting room his face was young. His love for her glowed outward from his smile. Again, I was so deeply touched.
We waited a bit more and finally he was called to go to her room.
We hugged, I sent my love, and I left the hospital.
I had an appointment to go get my shingles vaccine. Closing the barn, so to speak.
(Old saying "closing the barn door after the horse is gone" - I've had shingles)
I came home, washed up and left for Dr. As I drove, I saw Bill pass by on the way home. I swung the car around and followed him home.
I checked on him, he felt confident that she was resting and in good hands.
I left to go to the Dr.
I got my shot. I discussed the sleeping problems.
But sleeping problems seem pretty petty. My friend is ill. My friend who is in her 80's and fragile...and so important to me...and such a love in the life of Bill...she is ill, in hospital...
that's important...that's what is putting tears in my eyes tonight.
God Bless, Peg...sleep well, heal up...fight it off...let's go to dinner together soon. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment