Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Thursday, July 16, 2009

We Apologize for the Temporary Breakdown in Communications....

Goodness what a day!
Well, actually, the "day" itself wasn't bad....I enjoyed it for the most part and the evening should be even better.
But boy did I screw one thing up.
And it sounds like Keystone Kops only worse!
I had a death notice to put out.
When I received the information it was sketchy at best.
I had a dozen other jobs on my desk and on my mind, but I searched out the Funeral Home on line and thought I'd found the person who had passed.
I printed out their information and read it.
No mention of the family name I was looking for - the family name of employees for whom I was issuing the notice, a father and son.
Decided I had something wrong. And then I found just a first name - no last - as a step son, so I figured that out.
I created the notice and sent it to my boss to approve it. I also included the paperwork I'd accumulated trying to decipher the thing.
He brought out the paper work to me, scratching his head, and I explained what I'd figured out. OK, says he.
At about midnight last night I realized that that probably meant it was good to go, but it hadn't, I had neglected to send it out.
This morning early one of the other bosses asked me about it and I replied, "oh thanks for reminding me - it'll go right out"
and it did.
Unproofed, it turns out.
I got the first call from yet another boss. Seems I'd had an id # correct in the title, but flip-flopped the numbers down in the body of the notice.
I assumed (you know what that does!) that he hadn't seen anything else wrong.
I sent an apology out to all for the typo. (Turns out I hit two p's and spelled it appology!)
The second error was found later by a secretary. It seems my auto correct had changed Friday to the day I typed it....Tuesday!
So I sent out yet another corrected version. (these are going to about 225 people or more!)
And then I got the e-mail.
Seems I'd had the relationship correct in the title, too, but in the body I'd left out the "step-father" so what I'd done is made the deceased the grandfather of his step-son and his grandson. "I'm my own grandpa?"
This time I laughed. I moaned a little too.
And I went to lunch and had a Gelato - for lunch - it was delish and I don't care!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment