Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Case of the Disappearing 9 Patch

First meeting of Love Apple Quilters in January I handed in my membership application and was set for jumping headlong into - image that - quilting.
Disappointed to find the speaker was to be a woman selling beads.
However, once the mind-cobwebbingly long dissertation on "Beads" was done, show and tell was something else again.  Some wonderful offerings - among which were some quilts having been done in the "Disappearing 9 Patch" method.
I'd never heard of it, and the ladies did not share any information, so the next day I looked it up on line.
It looked intriguing and fairly easy, so I gave it a try.

Start out with 9 squares - in this case 5" ones - tho I cannot see any reason why they couldn't be any size you choose.

Sew them together into a 9 patch.

Slice the 9 patch down the middle.



Then slice the two halves across the middle.  And flip each quarter into a different direction - supposedly so that no seams adjoin - I wasn't able to get that exactly right.

And this is what you get - lots of little pieces - looking quite complicated - without any of the tedious work!
I love it!
How about you?
I'll be machine quilting this little quilt (shh it's to be a baby gift) and will post that picture when it's done.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that fun! I did a Christmas quilt with that block! Deb ♥

    ReplyDelete