Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Friday, June 26, 2009

Opening Presents in the Present!

I am sitting here with the day rolled out in front of me - yet have no idea what it holds. Usually, at this time of day, 7:50 AM, I would be rushing about, packing up, picking out clothes, trying to get a load of wash done or some other household chore. Not today. Today I am sitting with no pressure. Sitting and contemplating what to do for myself!
There's a touch of resentment sitting right next to me.
I had two days and two hours of vacation time that had accumulated and I've been told I have to use it. I have to use it by Tuesday the 30th.
If you earn it, shouldn't you be able to use it when you wish?
A couple of people retired from my work place with thousands of dollars worth of sick and vacation time for which they were paid. Paid a LOT!
I, and others like me, get NO pay for sick time when they retire. And have a time limit put on their time off earned. It was March, but was kindly extended by my boss to end of June.
Anyway - while I'd have preferred to use it when Larry is off too and we could do some lovely things together, we decided I'd make myself a couple of long weekends. Today is the first. Next weekend will be the last.
And so I sit here. I sit with the luxury of nothing pressing.
But with almost 6 hours that feel golden, yet over ripe. If I don't use them wisely, I will resent it. We A-Types - over achiever types - we can't just lie back and enjoy the ride. We over think, over worry, over stress.....good grief! Probably "only in America!" There are, no doubt, millions of folks right now who wonder if they will Live for the next 6 hours. Wonder if they will be killed, or will starve to death, or die of disease in the next 6 hours.
I'm worrying about what lovely relaxing thing to do.
OK, reality check. I understand that Time gets me screwy. Time is my money.
But still....I am hoping to scrap a little, sew a little, read a little, exercise a little, pray and meditate a little (maybe even a lot!), and readjust my happy button.
Roget says other words for "vacation" are "rest" and "amusement".....let's see if I can put that into practice. Pictures may follow.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.
Will Rogers, New York TImes, Apr. 29, 1930US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)

No comments:

Post a Comment