Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dear Friends and Home Town People

We are expecting company this coming Monday evening.
And with them are coming memories, memories, memories! Elvis and Betty North have been my friends since the 1950's. I don't really remember how old I was when they were assigned to our little Methodist Church in Columbia NJ. They were a young couple from Indiana, two little boys in tow, and for me, it was love at first sight. We were infatuated with the idea of Elvis' first name, and to cater to the kids in town, I believe his first sermon was entitled "Jail House Rock." His sense of humor bowled us over. Our little town was mostly poor, and life was pretty serious. There wasn't an over abundance of humor. Elvis brought more than enough.
Betty was sweet. She seemed to me to be the ultimate in exactly what a woman should strive to be. She was loving, she was gentle, she was a wonderful mother and a patient wife. We became such good friends. When, as a Senior in high school I had no clothes to wear on the class trip, she made me up some dresses so I wouldn't be ashamed. She did the same at Easter.
One night I left home. I felt I had no where to go. I fell asleep on the back porch of the parsonage, and in the morning they moved me into a spare room where I lived for some time until things at home got ironed out. They didn't have much, but they readily shared what they had with anyone in need.
We haven't seen them in years, but on Monday they are coming up from Florida to attend a funeral and Elvis will be guest preacher in Philadelphia. They have accepted our invitation to stay with us.
I didn't ask the memories to come, but they have ...bag and baggage....and they are, for the most part, very welcome visitors too.
A line from Elvis' e-mail:
"In the meantime pray for all those folks who have the misfortune to be on the road at the same time as a Bible-belt preacher.
Thanks for your long-term friendship in Jesus.
Betty & Elvis"
shows he hasn't lost his humor. And I am grateful I haven't lost their friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment