Welcome to

Life is Like a Roll of Toilet Paper ....

the nearer the end....

the quicker it goes.

(at least, that's my observation.)

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back in Time For the Future part 2






Next, on to Susquehanna PA – nearly NY – to the facility where my mother’s cousin Elizabeth Page (nee Thomas ) lives. Elizabeth is 95. She is the daughter of my Grandmother’s brother Lewis John Thomas. He was married to Elizabeth Lewis. So Elizabeth would have been Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis Lewis-Thomas or something like that! Elizabeth and I have had a 25 or 30 year correspondence. We have spoken on the telephone a few times. We’ve met at a few family gatherings. At those gatherings she seemed always to gravitate to my sister Carol, and I have always wondered if she thought she was writing and talking with Carol!
Driving up and parking beside the home gave us some bad moments. In contrast to Jane’s home, Elizabeth’s is an old, somewhat run-down house with a long extension built on to the rear. I was so fearful, as I know Larry was of what we would find inside.
It was not as bad as we feared, but I do see it as a terrible fire trap and hope that never comes to pass.
We found Elizabeth well and contented. When asked if she is happy there, she shrugged and said, “well, I’m as happy as I would be anywhere.”
Elizabeth very strongly resembles her cousin, my aunt, Martha. Her mannerisms are very similar.
We sat and chatted quite some time and she showed us many photos of her grandchildren and so forth. Near the end of the visit she pulled out an old black and white photo. “Here’s my dad” says she. I almost fell over! I’ve never seen a picture of my grandmother that young, and here was her brother perhaps in his 30’s – along with Elizabeth who looks to be 8 or 9 or so. I will check out the dates and some point. See how old they each were at that point.
I asked if she had more such pictures. Oh, well, she replied, I used to. But when I had to put my house up for sale, everything happened so quickly that they were boxed up and burned. (Can you hear me gasping?) But, she added, I did salvage one box full. I don’t know where they are right now. But no one cares about them. They’ll just go too one of these days. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
In such a situation, those of us with this genetic weakness come to a parting of sensibility, common decency and absolute panic. How to stop the madness?!
I attempted to impress upon her the terror in my heart that such priceless memories should be lost to those of us, now and hopefully in the future, who care. I hinted at borrowing the pictures in order to scan them. But her reply was to “harrumph” that no one would ever be interested. I got nowhere. I did at least manage to take a photo of the photo. It could very well be the last we see of it or the others somewhere in a box.
(insert the sound of a breaking heart) I promised that should she decide to share them, I would happily pay postage, shipping etc., and/or go up to get them. Didn’t make much impression however.
Finally we decided we’d best call it a day and get off for New Milford PA. We were expected for dinner at my friend’s house. Elizabeth had held up well despite the fact that she had had visitors earlier in the day. Cousins from Florida had been in the area and had stopped in. I don’t believe she gets many visitors – too bad they had to happen all on the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment